Student Success

General Information

Academic Diné College Peer Mentoring Program
Mentoring is a process in which an experienced individual encourages another person to develop his or her goals and skills through a series of time-limited, confidential, one-on-one conversations and other learning activities. Mentors also draw benefits from the mentoring relationship. As a mentor, you will have the opportunity to share your wisdom and experiences, evolve your own thinking, develop a new mentoring relationship, and deepen your skills as a mentor.

Academic Advising and Counseling
Academic advising is a vital service to students regarding programs of study and career options. It ensures that students have information necessary to make good decisions about their future. Students are assigned an advisor; an advisor may be a faculty or academic advisor, to provide guidance on academic programs in general, and degree checklists, specifically. Degree checklists are issued by the Registrar’s Office or may be obtained from an advisor. The checklist should be utilized before registering for classes. While advisors are initially assigned to students, students may request a change by completing a Change of Advisor form available in the Registrar’s Office. Other services available through the program include Academic Advising, Career Counseling, New Student Orientation, Referral Services, GED Testing, Transfer Assistance and Veteran Assistance. An advisor who assists students with admissions, academic advising, transferability, placement testing, career assessment, financial aid, and registration is also available at each Regional Center. Referrals are made to professional counselors in governmental agencies or private counseling facilities.

Intramural Sports
Intramural and extramural sports are offered at Tsaile Campus.

Navajo Nation Day Care
The Tsaile Campus has two day-care facilities on campus that are run by the Navajo Nation’s Division of Social Services. Special agreements are in place to facilitate services to children of Diné College students, faculty and staff.

General Education Development (GED) Testing
The Shiprock Learning Center also administers GED Tests monthly with additional testing dates as necessary. The fee is $10 per test or $50 for the entire battery. Individuals must be 16 or older, have a Referral Form from a local ABE/GED program, and have a New Mexico state issued identification card or driver’s license. With passing scores, the State of New Mexico issues a high school diploma and transcript. For more information, call (505) 368-3565.

Health Services
All Arizona students are encouraged to either complete the Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS) forms with the Arizona Department of Economic Security at the Tsaile Health Clinic for Tsaile residents or to provide information on family health care insurance. Services are available at the Tsaile Health Center to the extent that “the provision of such health service will not result in a denial or diminution of health services to [other] eligible Indians." Health services are available to all Diné College Americans Indian students through the U.S. Public Health Service. Non-Indian students are seen in emergencies, and eye and dental care is not available.
Students not eligible for Public Health Services are responsible for any health care costs incurred while they are students at Diné College. Diné College offers private health insurance for domestic and international students and their dependents. Information on this program is obtained from the Dean of Student Services.

Student Complaints
Students have the right to submit significant complaints in writing to College authorities. Such complaints are duly considered. Forms for registering complaints are available at the Student Services, Academic Affairs, and Regional Directors' offices.

Student Rights and Responsibilities
All Diné College students have rights and responsibilities identified in the Student Code of Conduct Booklet. Copies may be obtained from the Student Services Office or Regional Center offices.

Students with Disabilities
The college provides reasonable educational support and other academic services to disabled students. A student with disability who wishes to enroll for classes should contact Student Services at the Tsaile Campus or the designated representative at the Regional center.
Students in postsecondary education are responsible for self-identifying themselves as individuals with disabilities, providing disability documentation, and requesting accommodations. The college is responsible for providing reasonable accommodations for qualified students with disabilities. The college does not provide special education versions, IEP (Individualized Education Programs) plans, specialized progress reports, etc. Primary and secondary schools are legally mandated to identify students with disabilities and provide a free and appropriate education for the needs of students with disabilities. Because of this, many students with disabilities and their families think high school disability records automatically transferred to the college along with academic records, and the college continues services and accommodations in high school. However, this is not the case. In postsecondary education, the responsibility to identify a disability lies with the student, if in fact he or she desires to request services and accommodations on the basis of disability. Records regarding disability do not automatically transfer from high school to college. Such records can only be released or transferred with the written permission of the adult students (in cases where the student is under the age of 18, parent or guardian permission is also required). Under federal law, family members are not provided with access to student information regarding disabilities, accommodations or academic progress. Disability related information and documentation are treated the same as medical information and handled under strict rules of confidentiality. Information is shared only on a limited basis within the college and then only when there is a compelling reason for the individual seeking the information to have knowledge of a special aspect of this confidential information. FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974), also known as the Buckley Amendment, provides faculty with free access to educational information in institutional files regarding students with whom they are teaching, advising or other capacity. Disability related records are excluded from free access under FERPA. Also excluded from free access under FERPA are inquiries external to the institution related to a student’s disability or academic progress.

Veterans’ Assistance
Tsaile and Shiprock Campuses have a Certifying official to assist veteran students with using their educational benefits. Diné College curricula and courses are approved by the Arizona and New Mexico Veterans Commission State Approving Agencies. For additional information contact the Student Services Program at the Tsaile or Shiprock Campuses.